Cape buffalo cow hunt South Africa
Cape buffalo cow hunt South Africa
A Cape buffalo cow hunt South Africa is by no means any different to hunting a Cape buffalo bull. On the contrary, with young calves in a herd both hunter and Professional Hunter need to be alert. This is a guided hunt for African dangerous game and according to law the Professional Hunter needs a dangerous game hunting license.
Commonly referred to as one of the bitches of the bushveld (we tend to call them bad ladies in public) they usually act according to their nicknames. Known to have charged many a hunter unprovoked the hunter must have enough gun to stop a Cape buffalo cow charge. Cape buffalo cows are equally as dangerous as Cape buffalo bulls.
Cost of the Cape buffalo cow hunt
The cost of the Cape buffalo cow hunt is $ 6 000.
Depending on time of arrival we would suggest an overnight stay. The additional cost for this is $ 150 per person.
During severe droughts it can happen we do Cape buffalo cow cull hunts. In the event of a cull hunt the prices are much lower and we will be willing to negotiate.
The Cape buffalo cow hunt prices are valid for 2020.
Cape buffalo cow vs Cape buffalo bull
We offer affordable Cape buffalo cow hunt packages that will enhance the feeling of being in danger while we ensure your and our safety. The Cape buffalo cow hunting prices are what you see. We do not charge you more because we take you to the best place to hunt Cape buffalo. We merely charge you the cost of the Cape buffalo hunting safari as advertised. Once you are picked up at the airport we will take care of you till we drop you off again at the end of your African Cape buffalo hunting safari.
Cape buffalo cow vs Cape buffalo bull. Minimum caliber for a Cape buffalo cow hunt, according to law is a minimum 375 caliber. This is the same as for hunting Cape buffalo bulls. The best caliber for Cape buffalo would be the largest caliber bigger than 375 you feel comfortable handling. We suggest any 400 caliber and bigger.
Ammunition for hunting Cape buffalo cow
We recommend you only use premium grade ammunition when hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa.
Our preferred ammunition manufacturer is Barnes TTSX in just about any weight. Other premium grade ammunition manufactures you can use would be Federal Premium, Nosler Partition, Sierra and others.
The reason we keep hammering on using premium grade ammunition is:
In South Africa if you shoot at an animal and blood is drawn, the animal is considered bought and paid for. If you use cheap ammunition that is inferior and causes blood to be drawn you pay even if we do not find it.
What you are looking for in premium grade ammunition is consistent performance. Petals must mushroom creating a wide wound channel leading to the animal expiring quickly.
Petals that break off, or worse, if the bullet / projectile disintegrates upon contact the animal will survive and you will pay.
Note of caution
You will be guided by an experienced Professional Hunter on your Cape buffalo cow hunt. If a Cape buffalo cow charge happens, your hunting guide is obliged to protect human lives.
In the event a wounded Cape buffalo cow charges and breeches the personal safety zone of the hunting group, the PH must:
- take preventative action and assist in shooting the Cape buffalo cow.
- The Cape buffalo cow will be considered your trophy as per industry standards.
Mkulu African Hunting Safaris has never had such a situation but please be aware of the possibility. The previous sentence was true until November 2016 when we were charged by a wounded Cape buffalo. After the hunter wounded the buffalo, the PH had to take matters into his own hands and shot the buffalo three times. Please click the button below to read the full account of the hunt.
Best gun scope for hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa
The best gun scope for hunting Cape buffalo cow is most likely the one you already have.
There are numerous gun scopes and gun scope brands available on the market today. It is our experience that the more costly gun scopes like Leupold and Swarovski optics certainly offer more than the average run-of-the-mill cheap stuff.
The single most important issue would be for the gun scope to withstand the recoil once you squeeze the trigger.
A good 2 – 12 X 50 gun scope is sufficient to hunt Cape buffalo cow South Africa.
Cape buffalo cow hunting caliber
The best caliber rifle for hunting Cape buffalo cow might need to be updated. 375 vs 9,3 X 62? And also 375 vs 9,3 X 74? It is our opinion that that the 9,3 calibers are sufficient to hunt Cape buffalo cow. However, in South Africa the law is 375 is the minimum caliber to hunt dangerous game.
Use a large bore rifle that you can shoot accurately and feel comfortable using.
We consider the following as the best calibers for hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa:
- 375 H&H using a minimum bullet weight of 300 gr traveling at a muzzle velocity of about 2 600 feet per second (fps). Only use Barnes TTSX, Nosler Partition, Sierra GameKing, Federal Premium and other premium grade ammunition.
- 45-70 using a minimum bullet weight of 350 gr to 450 gr traveling at a muzzle velocity of between 1 800 fps and 1 650 fps respectively. Only use premium grade ammunition.
- 416 Rigby using a minimum bullet weight of 400 gr traveling at a muzzle velocity between 2 500 fps and 2 650 feet per second (fps). Only use Barnes, Swift A-frame and Hornady premium grade ammunition.
- 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott – our best results have consistently come from using Barnes TSX 500 gr ammunition at slightly shy of 2 400 fps.
- 500 Jeffrey and 505 Gibbs or any other comparable calibers for hunting Cape buffalo. Only use premium grade ammunition like Barnes, Nosler Partition, Federal Premium and others. For these two calibers use 535 gr and 525 gr respectively anywhere between 2 400 fps and 2 300 fps respectively.
Hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa shot placement
A broadside shot on Cape buffalo cow: the shot should be placed behind the shoulder in line with the front leg and almost two thirds of the way up from the bottom of the brisket to the top of the back. Alternatively, place the shot right on the shoulder of the Cape buffalo cow, below one third of the way between the brisket and the hump on top of the back.
Aim for the inside of the closer shoulder of the Cape buffalo cow, just below one third of the way between the bottom of the brisket and the top of the back.
Try to avoid a quartering away shot on Cape buffalo cow. These are big animals and if the shot is slightly acute the bullet / projectile might get stuck in a massive amount of stomach content.
Remember to ask us why a shot from the left is better than a shot from the right hand side of the Cape buffalo cow.
Place the shot in the center of the chest of the Cape buffalo cow where the throat joins the chest.
Hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa general information
Cape buffalo cow hunting South Africa
Cape buffalo cow hunting package includes:
- Trophy fee for a one Cape buffalo cow.
- Daily rates for 5 hunting days.
- Pick-up and drop-off from the airport in Johannesburg.
Cost for observers
- Observers are welcome at $ 750 for the duration of the hunt.
- In the event of a late arrival we suggest an overnight stay. The additional cost for this is $ 150 per observer.
Best time of year for hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa
Best time of year to hunt Cape buffalo cow is from April to November with peak hunting taking place during the very dry spell between July and October.
We can and do hunt Cape buffalo cow from January to December.
Below is one of our Cape buffalo cow hunting videos.
It shows a few minutes worth of hunting where in actual fact it took many hours to finally get the shot.
Enjoy the experience with us.
Our hunting Cape buffalo cow South Africa packages
- Accommodation while hunting
- All land transport for the duration of the hunt
- Laundry at all the hunting lodges
- Bottled water
- Soft drinks
- Alcoholic beverages in moderation
- Services of a Professional Hunter
- Services of a skinner / tracker
- Daily rates for the duration of the hunt
- Trophy fees of specified trophy animals
- Field preparation of any hunting trophies
- Delivery of your trophies to our preferred taxidermist
- Items of a personal nature
- All flights – international or otherwise
- Taxidermy work
- Dipping, shipping and crating of trophies
- Cost of any trophy animals wounded and not recovered
- Cost of trophy animals hunted outside and additional to the initial package