Hunting spotted hyena in South Africa
Spotted hyena scientific name: Crocuta crocuta
Hunting spotted hyena in South Africa with Mkulu African Hunting Safaris. Spotted hyena hunts have become very popular lately because of the mystery surrounding these predators. Spotted hyena are listed on the Threatened or Protected Species (TOPS) list according to the hunting laws and regulations in South Africa. In effect this means that we require a TOPS permit (tag) for hunting spotted hyena in South Africa.
There are several myths and mysteries surrounding spotted hyena and we hope to address the main issue in this regard:
Spotted hyenas are hermaphrodites: fact or fiction
- hermaphrodites are animals that are both male and female at the same time
- there are a few animal species like fish and worms that are hermaphrodite
- hyenas are not hermaphrodite
- it is likely that the myth of hyenas being hermaphrodite started when people noticed that specimens with udders (indicating female sex) could develop phallic erections indicating they were hermaphrodite
- without getting into too much detail, females have pseudo-penisses through which they urinate, copulate and give birth
- hyenas develop phallic erections when greeting each other after extended absences
- (source: http://www.hyaenidae.org/)
Information on hunting spotted hyena in South Africa
Spotted hyena hunting prices
Spotted hyena hunting price in South Africa for 2019 is $ 4 700 as a stand-alone hunt. This includes tag fees, bait and the hunt itself. This is an ideal add-on to an existing hunt. Combine your hyena hunt with a Cape buffalo hunt saving on additional daily rates. Here is a link to the Cape buffalo hunting package.
Hyena hunting caliber
The best caliber for hunting spotted hyena is:
- 7 mm Rem Mag
- 7 mm-08
- 8 X 64 Breneke
- 30-06 or any of the 300 calibers
- 45-70 will be more than sufficient to successfully hunt a spotted hyena.
Spotted hyena ammunition
Our preferred ammunition manufacturer is Barnes. You can use any weight projectiles depending on which weight consistently performs best in your specific rifle. Other premium grade ammunition manufactures you can use would be Federal Premium, Sierra and others.
There are numerous gun scopes and gun scope brands available on the market today. Leupold and Swarovski optics certainly provide more light under darker conditions.
The single most important issue is the scope must be able to withstand the recoil once you squeeze the trigger.
A good 2 – 12 X 50 gun scope is sufficient for hunting hyena in South Africa.
Best time of year for hunting spotted hyena
We have hunted spotted hyena from January to December and found that according to our comfort levels, the best time of year to hunt spotted hyena is from end April to end October.
Average hyena shot distance
The average expected shooting distance when hunting African spotted hyena in South Africa is 60 to 80 yards.
Hyena hunting methods
Hunting spotted hyena is traditionally by baiting. It can and sometimes does happen that you come across hyena during the day. Bait is set up in much the similar fashion to that of leopard. Main difference between baiting for hyena and baiting for leopard is the bait is within reach of the ground. Drags are created and a blind is built soon as the spotted hyena starts feeding.
Baiting will commence before you arrive at the hunting destination. Trail cameras will give a good indication of all the action per baiting station, and a time frame for the activity. A few hours in a blind from late afternoon onward can be expected.
Included in your hyena hunt
- Trophy fee for a spotted hyena
- 5 hunting days / nights
- 6 nights in a 4-star lodge
- Pick-up and drop-off at the Johannesburg international airport (known as the O.R. Tambo International Airport), or any hotel or guest house in Johannesburg or Pretoria
- Accommodation during the hunt
- Services of a Professional Hunter
- Services of a tracker / skinner
- All tag fees
- Use of our rifle is included if you do not bring your own
- Ammunition can be replaced at cost
Terms and conditions of your hyena hunt
- $ 2 500 will be credited to your final bill if no spotted hyena is successfully hunted
- Wounded hyena not retrieved are bought and paid for
- A non-refundable $550 tag fee is included in the package price
- Observers are welcome to come along at $ 150 per observer per day
- Please note this is a rifle hunt only. The Limpopo hunting regulations dictate it is illegal to bow hunt large predators
Click on the images below to enlarge
Spotted hyena hunting areas
We have access to three different spotted hyena hunting areas in South Africa. One of the hunting areas is in the proximity of the Kruger National Park. Time permitting, a visit to this world renowned 5 million acre game preserve can be undertaken.
All three our hunting concessions have sufficient spotted hyena populations allowing for a bigger than average opportunity at successfully hunting a hyena.
What other animals can you hunt
We prefer not to hunt any other game on the same property we are hunting for the spotted hyena. A short distance from our hunting concessions we have the following game available for hunting during the day:
Blesbok – common
|Cape buffalo||√||Roan antelope – tag required||
|√||Tsessebe – tag required||
Hippo – tag required
|Kudu||√||Zebra – common||
Shot placement when hunting spotted hyena
General rule of thumb is to place the shot directly on the shoulder slightly lower than one third of the way up from the start of the chest to the top of the back. Such a shot should lead to a high heart shot while still penetrating both lungs making for an easy recovery of your hyena trophy.
Quartering to shot
Aim for the inside shoulder, bisecting the angle formed by the position of the front legs. Aim at the same height as for a broadside shot.
Aim at the same height as for a broadside shot at the angle formed by the front legs. Larger caliber rifles can aim slightly further back if needed. Make sure not to hit too much stomach when the animal has fed.
Facing to shot
Place the shot where the throat meets the chest.
Video of hunting spotted hyena in South Africa
South African hyena hunting safari trips 2019